We are all aware of how harmful the internet can be. Hackers, viruses, and other dangers may threaten your personal data’s security and business. We all want to stay safe online as a result of this. Yet how can we accomplish that? Well, you have two options: use a virtual private network (VPN) or a proxy server.
Proxies and VPNs are both excellent tools for maintaining your online anonymity, but which should you pick? To help you choose which is ideal for your needs, we’ll compare VPNs and proxies in this post and explain how they each operate.
What are a proxy and its advantages?
A proxy is a web-based service between a user’s computer and the internet. People can access the internet while having their identity, location, and IP address protected. For example, a residential proxy like the Thailand proxy can provide state and city-level targeting, providing added benefits for business owners looking to access content from specific locations. Find more info here.
A computer that acts as a halt in the middle for your requests to travel via the Internet is known as a proxy server. The biggest advantage of using a proxy server is that it masks your IP address while you browse the internet.
Benefits of using proxies:
- Because traffic passes through the proxy server rather than going straight to the destination website, the internet connection is not disrupted.
- Proxy servers increase your privacy by masking your IP address so that websites you visit are unaware of who you are. Because they cannot obtain your specific IP address each time you visit their website, advertisers find it challenging to monitor your actions across several websites.
- Using proxy servers allows people to get over censorship blocks put in place on particular websites or IP addresses by governments, institutions, or colleges.
- Those who desire to unblock restricted websites in their nation or region can benefit from it. For instance, if you’re a business owner in a particular country, say Thailand, and you need to scrape data from websites your government banned, you can overcome this challenge by using a Thailand proxy to scrape data effectively. With this, you can have access to the blocked content and data.
What is a VPN and its advantages?
A virtual private network, or VPN, is a system that encrypts your internet traffic and directs it to a server in another nation. Making it look as though you’re connecting from another place, enables you to avoid geo-blocking and internet control.
There are numerous benefits to using a VPN, such as:
- You can access websites that would otherwise be blocked in your nation or region (like Netflix).
- They can protect your privacy by obscuring your IP address and preventing snoopers from accessing it.
- They can encrypt all your data before it leaves your device to help you stay safe from hackers.
- Accessing geo-restricted content,
- Avoiding censorship
- Securing and safely using public wi-fi.
What are the differences between proxies and VPNs?
It’s crucial to remember that proxies and VPNs are both beneficial tools for privacy and security. They are not, however, interchangeable. Proxy servers are a wonderful option if you’re trying to access stuff restricted in your nation.
All your internet traffic is forwarded through an additional computer using a proxy. You can use the “proxy server” to access content from different countries or even to get around restrictions on websites like Netflix because it can be situated anywhere in the world.
Using proxies instead of VPNs has several benefits:
- Proxies are significantly less expensive than VPNs. They don’t even ask you to download any software, nor do you have to pay a monthly charge. However, users are advised to use a paid proxy because a free proxy may be risky.
- Because proxies don’t have to encrypt or decode your data, they are substantially faster than VPNs. They send it unmodified over the proxy server.
- When you use a proxy, the website you visit displays the proxy server’s IP address rather than your IP address. In other words, if someone was monitoring your internet activity, they couldn’t identify that you were visiting a specific website.
- Multiple devices can use proxies concurrently while sharing the same IP address as your primary device. Because VPNs can only be connected to one device at a time, this is not possible.
- Proxy configuration is not necessary.
- You can download proxies to your computer, phone, or tablet (VPNs are generally only for computers).
- Proxies are closer to the web servers than VPNs are, which allows them to load pages more quickly. They are therefore perfect for those who want to watch videos and play online games.
Proxies and VPNs have shared functions, but proxies edge out VPNs in terms of cost, speed, flexibility, and ease of use. Both can be used for other things in addition to helping you conceal your IP address and unblock websites. What you intend to do will determine which option you choose. A proxy can unblock a website or service for you if all you want to do is that.