Data mapping is the processing of matching source data fields with target data fields. This happens during data migration or warehousing, and it requires data mapping tools. It’s the translation of information between the source and the destination. Then eventually, the data will move from your warehouse to your BI tools. Then, another iteration of data mapping is needed to provide you access to the most insightful information while following the intricacies of the tool and analytics process. The same type of data fields may be processed differently, solely based on the target of different analytical processes.
Powerful and versatile data mapping tools are important for data usage strategy. In this article, we will explain all there is to learn about Data Mapping, and why it’s important for businesses. After looking at all the major factors about data mapping tools, we’ve listed some of the best mapping tools in 2022.
What is Data Mapping?
Data mapping is the process of partnering the source data to the target data. Moreover, it is the process of mapping atomic data units from two different data units. Data mapping is used in Data Integration, Data Migration, Data warehousing, and Data Transformation. This is why Data mapping is a crucial part of the data management process.
While it sounds simple in theory, the data mapping process can still be more complex. Its complexity also depends on how different the source and target data structure and the hierarchical structure of data mapping are.
Data mapping tools allow developers to define the mapping rules all by coding. Most of the tools provide a complete interface for defining these mapping rules. Plus, all this makes the process so much easier for non-technical persons to define the mapping rules.
Best Data Mapping Tools 2022
Xplenty is a cloud-based integration, ETL, and ELT platform. With Xplenty, you can create simple, and visualized data pipelines to your data warehouse. It allows you to integrate data from over 100 data stores and SaaS applications. It can be integrated with a variety of sources such as SQL data stores, NoSQL databases, and even cloud storage services.
- Xplenty can be integrated with all the marketing sources such as social media, CRM data, analytics, and it can get up-to-date, transparent, and accurate marketing information.
- The tool offers you an intuitive graphic interface that will help you implement ETL, ELT, or a replication solution.
- You can orchestrate and schedule data pipelines with the help of Xplenty’s workflow engine.
- You can get connectors for applications, databases, files, data warehouses, etc.
ZigiOps is a highly scalable no-code integration platform that allows for smooth data transfers between devices in real-time. ZigiOps is a no-code and it doesn’t require on-premise integration. Born from the need to help you automate and improve cross-team collaboration. ZigiOps can be seamlessly integrated into any environment, and it extracts and transfers data between systems in real-time. Moreover, you can have data recovery features that are like cherry on top.
- Allows users to complete integrations from anywhere
- Highly flexible and customizable integrations
- Adapts to use cases
- Deep integrations
- Handles tons of queries
- It can be an on-premise solution that connects to the cloud
3. DBSync Product Line Software
Database migration and synchronization software to convert and replicate your data between all the major databases. Basically, any of the popular databases are supported by DBSync. That’s not all, DBSync also allows for data replication between different cloud platforms, such as AWS, RDS/Aurora, MS Azure SQL, Google Cloud SQL, and more.
- Data types changing for all databases
- Data type changing only for specific field
- Graphical interface for mapping data
- Filtering of required data
- Schedule database migration and sync jobs at specified times
Clover ETL is now known as the CloverDX platform. Not only has the name changed, it now comes with a series of functionalities for the users. The best part about CloverDX is that it comes with a 45-day free trial, this way you can be sure if you want to get the paid version or not.
CloverDX is an incredible tool for accomplishing simple and complex tasks. It’s an open architecture platform that allows you to code for data jobs whenever you need to. It provides a great set of pre-built transformation components.
- Perfect tool to perform simple and complex tasks
- It’s easy to design reusable data transformation
- It will allow you to schedule, manage, and monitor complex workflows
- You can manage any number of jobs
Pentaho offers you a single platform to manage the analytical data pipeline. It comes with a scalable multi-threaded data integration engine. It will also allow you to build reusable data integration templates. What more can you ask from a data mapping tool?
- You’ll be able to switch seamlessly between the execution engines such as Apache Spark and Pentaho
- Provides robust support to Hadoop distributions, Spark, NoSQL, and object stores.
- Performance monitoring
- Job rollback and restart
Conclusion: Best Data Mapping Tools
Now that we’ve gone over top data mapping tools along with the features they have to offer. CloverDX is best known for its flexibility, Pentaho offers you the best drag and drop functionality. You can also try other tools available in the market, but you can start off without a list of data mapping tools.