Yoga doesn’t just offer physical benefits, but mental and emotional health benefits. Yoga can assist in getting rid of some illnesses, and fixing bodily conditions. What’s even better is that you can enjoy the benefits of yoga regardless of how proficient you are in it. Simple asanas like Ardha Chakrasana can offer you a lot of benefits.
Ardha Chakrasana or Half Wheel Pose is one of the easier asanas (yoga poses) to perform. Those who have a stiff back should attempt this first before moving on to a tougher pose. The meaning of name “Ardha Chakrasana” means half-wheel pose. This particular yoga posture has multiple health benefits. It improves the flexibility of the back and the neck, it also strengthens the back muscles, and tones the organs in the abdomen, which improves their overall functions.
What Is Ardha Chakrasana?
Ardha Chakrasana, also known as half wheel pose is an intermediate asana that prepares the mind and the body for deeper back bending and heart-opening postures. The name “Ardha Chakrasana” comes from Sanskrit, where Ardha means half and Chakrasana means wheel.
The Ardha Chakrasana is easier to perform than the Chakrasana (full-wheel pose). If you are having back problems then you should attempt this pose before trying out the full wheel pose.
Steps to do Ardha Chakrasana (Half Wheel Pose)
As mentioned above, Ardha Chakrasana is one of the easiest poses to do. Here are all the crucial “Ardha Chakrasana steps” to do :
- Stand straight and bring your hands together on each side of your body.
- Raise and rotate your hands above the shoulders.
- Slowly bend the upper part of your body along with the hands, as far as possible. Make sure not to hurt yourself by going backward.
- Stay in this same position for a few seconds to a whole minute. The time limit is based on your capability.
- To release the pose, return to the original pose with your hands on your side.
- There is another method of doing Ardha Chakrasana, where the hands are placed behind your hips and then the back bending is done.
Benefits of Ardha Chakrasana:
- Ardha Chakrasana is highly effective in reducing thigh and stomach fat.
- It helps in improving the capacity of the lungs.
- It stimulates the pancreas by controlling high blood sugar levels.
- Ardha Chakrasana benefits in increasing the strength of your back and spine muscles.
- Tones shoulders, thighs, and waist.
- Reduces shoulder and neck pain.
- Ardha Chakrasana is perfect for getting rid of back pain or lower back pain problem.
- Improves respiratory problems.
- Improves cardiovascular health.
Precautions You Should Take During Ardha Chakrasana
Every yoga pose can have adverse effects if done for too long. Here are some common precautions you should take while doing Ardha Chakrasana.
- If you’re pregnant, you should consult your doctor before performing this asana.
- People suffering from neck, hip, and spinal injury should not do Ardha Chakrasana.
- Be cautious while doing this pose if you have vertigo.
- People suffering from high blood pressure should avoid doing Ardha Chakrasana.
Facts to Know About Ardha Chakrasana
- This asana is known for its frontal and abdominal stretch.
- Try to minimize the gap between the elbows, as it will help you inhale more oxygen.
- This asana is good for your front upper torso.
- If you practice Ardha Chakrasana daily you can overcome postural defects.
Yes, there are a few precautions you have to keep in mind. Some of the most common contradictions for Ardha Chakrasana are:
– Avoid this asana if you have had a neck, spinal, or hip injury.
– Don’t do this asana if you have high blood pressure.
– Avoid this asana if you’re pregnant.
Some common tips to keep in mind are:
– Your body has limitations, don’t push your body too much. Start slowly and you’ll be able to meet your goals soon enough. Start with smaller sessions of yoga every day.
– Be regular with Ardha Chakrasana. If performed regularly, your body can start getting more familiar with the pose.
– Keep all the above-mentioned precautions of Ardha Chakrasana in mind.
– You may not be able to achieve the exact pose that you’re trying to. It is okay to use yoga props such as belts, bolsters, etc.
– Don’t compare yourself with others, pushing your body can hurt you instead of helping you.
– Learn as much as you can about yoga breathing. Breathing right is crucial to establishing a deep connection between the mind and body.
– Make sure not to eat one or two hours before practicing yoga. Make sure not to drink water during the practice. Try to reduce your alcohol intake once you start doing yoga.