Gomoku is a traditional Japanese board game, which can be played by two players. The Gomoku board has a 15×15 grid of lines, but sometimes it’s also played on a Go board, which has 19×19 of lines. In this game, players have to take turns placing black and white pieces on the board with the goal to create an unbroken line of 5 pieces in any direction.
It is a perfect mind game to play with full attention. The first player who gets five consecutive stones in a line on the board either horizontally, vertically, or diagonally will win. You don’t only have to get your 5 consecutive stones on the board, but you also have to block the other player’s stones from getting the 5 consecutive stones in a line. Once you understand the basics of the game, you’ll have to use your moves with a strategy to win the game.
This game is still in demand in the era of massive multiplayer battle royale games. Since this game is added in chat games in iMessage in iOS devices, many other social media apps started to provide such gaming facility over there chat apps.
How to Get Gomoku in iMessage
To play Gomoku on iMessage, first of all you have to install the game within the iMessage app. This game is only available to play on the iMessage app.
- Go to the Messages app on your iPhone and open an iMessage conversation thread. You can open an existing chat or start a new one.
- Tap on the ‘App Drawer’ icon on the left of the messaging textbox. The options for iMessage apps will appear underneath.
- Then tap on the App Store icon to open the App Store.
- Now tap on the ‘Search’ icon and search for the app ‘GamePigeon’. If you search for ‘Gomoku’, you’ll find nothing. (GamePigeon is a collection of two-player games in iMessage that offers Gomoku and other games like Mancala, 8-ball pool, etc., under their umbrella).
- Tap on the ‘Get’ button to add GamePigeon to the list of your iMessage apps, and there you’ll find the ‘Gomoku’ app to play.
How to Play Gomoku
- After installing the app, close the App Store and return to the App Drawer.
- Swipe left to navigate to the icons showing on the right side and tap on the icon of ‘GamePigeon’, and then tap on ‘Gomoku’. The game will load into the iMessage text box.
- Tap on the ‘Send’ button to send the game invite to the other person. When the other person accepts your invitation, you can both play the game one by one.
Rules of the game
This game consists of a 12×12 board, in the set of black and white. Player 1 gets the black one automatically. Alternatively both the players have to place a stone of their color on the intersection of the tiles on their each turn. The objective of this game is to get 5 of your stones placed consecutively in a line on the board.
You don’t have to wait for the other person to come online and play with you, just start the game, and the other person can get to it whenever they have the time. Another good thing about playing games over iMessage is that you don’t have to play the entire game in one go. Just play for your turn whenever you have the free time, and the other player can play in the same way. On every turn iMessage sends a message notification to you, so you can open the message, see what the other player has played in his/her turn, play your turn, and send the message to your opponent.
Setting up and Starting the Gomoku Game
Divide the black and white pieces evenly between both players. Gomoku is played with black and white pieces known as stones. One player should get all the black pieces while the other player gets all the white pieces. The game will start with playing a black first.
The player who gets the first turn, enjoys an advantage that increases their chances of winning over the second player. So, when you have to play Gomoku on imessage, the first strategy is to invite your friend to play the game, so that you can have the first turn.
Conclusion – Play Gomoku on iMessage
iOS device users can play Gomoku with their friends over iMessage. If you’ve never played Gomoku game on iMessage before, let’s play it. Playing this game over iMessage is more convenient than traditional online games. Surely it is a time pass game for you and your friend where you both can play the game according to your time availability.
More importantly, when you are playing this game play Gomoku on iMessage, it also allows you to chat with the other person.